Mentor Coordinator & Facilitator
Midsouth More Than Ready
February 25, 2022
Location: Mid-South Regional Office, Memphis, TN
Seedco is a national nonprofit organization that advances economic opportunity for people, businesses and communities in need.
Funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance, the Midsouth More Than Ready (MSMTR) initiative is designed to improve employment opportunities for justice-involved adults in Memphis. The program will meet participants where they are by addressing their basic needs and barriers to success resulting in placement of participants in long-term, well-paying jobs. MSMTR will offer participants career pathways through training, education, financial coaching, job placement and career development services.
The Mentor Coordinator/Facilitator will conduct group instruction and educate program participants, who are adult, justice involved individuals or returning citizens in job readiness and life skills training. They will work with case managers to ensure client pipeline and skills gaps are being addressed to meet employer hiring demands.
The Mentor Coordinator/Facilitator position will also be responsible for creating a high quality mentoring program which involves recruiting, training and screening adult and peer volunteers and matching them with program participants for mentoring activities. These activities will occur in group settings, peer mentoring and one on one mentoring environments. The Mentor Coordinator/Facilitator will also be responsible for developing a tracking system for mentors/mentees and reporting to MSRO leadership on a monthly basis. Responsibilities also include interviewing and screening the program participants with case managers, providing follow-up support once mentor matches are made, planning and conducting training workshops and other program activities.
Seedco is an affiliate of The Acacia Network, the leading Latino integrated care nonprofit in the nation, offering the community, from children to seniors, a pathway to behavioral and primary healthcare, housing, and empowerment.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Recruit volunteers from the community to act as mentors for identified program participants,
- Conduct mentoring sessions using career exploration, life skills and job readiness curricula at designated training site,
- Organizes community service activities to support client development of pro-social behaviors and leadership abilities and prepare them for post release and
- Ensure that mentor applications and background checks are completed in accordance with MSRO protocols, and that each application is approved by the Senior Director prior to training and onboarding of the mentor.
- Conduct all group instruction for program participants.
- Plan and implement at least one group mentoring activity per month for mentors with program participants.
- Make weekly contact with volunteer mentors and at least one contact per month with program participants. Ensure that each contact for mentors and participants are maintained in written form and/or in the Salesforce database. If in written form, share said contact with Project Coordinator.
- Plan monthly mentor training workshops for mentors that have received an approved application.
- Assist in other programmatic functions as required, such as special events, to support the program.
- Will work with Case Managers and Program Coordinator to match mentors and participants. Matches will occur only with the approval and input from the Project Coordinator.
- Communicate with volunteers and clients regarding activities, workshops, etc.
- Travel regularly throughout Shelby County is required.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Complete and assist with other projects as assigned.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to capture and report out on outcomes on a weekly basis.
- Serve as a point of information and resource for clients, fellow staff members, and service providers.
- Maintain accountability, reliability and dependability when performing all assigned job duties.
- Associate degree; Bachelor’s preferred.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in nonprofit management, nonprofit setting, workforce development, mentoring programs and program instruction.
- Strong writing, analytical, interpersonal and communications skills required.
- Must be organized, detail oriented and have the ability to work effectively under pressure in both a team setting and individually.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations, community groups and/or with employer and government contracts strongly preferred;
- Experience working in a data driven environment and demonstrates strong computer/database skills; and
- Experience working with young adults to build life skills and pro-social behaviors.
- Experience in managing and supporting client needs. Demonstrated commitment to the field and a passion for serving under-served and under-resourced individuals, families and/or communities; particularly people living in poverty.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The Mentor Coordinator/Facilitator will report directly to the Senior Director.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send their resume and a brief cover letter to:email@example.com with the subject line “Mentor Coordinator/Facilitator- Midsouth More Than Ready ”. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to personally acknowledge the receipt and status of each one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Seedco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.